2 weeks ago, I traveled to my mom’s place after a year.
Updating my scheduled post – I didn’t go. My younger developed a bad case of cough & cold a day before traveling. 😦 Since I made these biscottis for my mom & sis, I’ve decided to dedicate this post to them & am leaving the post unchanged from here on –
Since my mom is an exceptional cook & both my sis’s also take after her, I (am the black sheep of cooking) usually show-off with little baking that I manage. 😉 But this time I realized that I can’t dazzle them with lot of baked goods as my mom’s both ovens (cooking gas range & electric) have conked off together & my mom is in no hurry to have them repaired or replaced. 😦
So I decided to bake one and carry from Pune only. You see, how could I let go a chance!
I was going to reach her place atleast after 3 days from starting date, this made me zero onto a biscotti. Biscottis keep well & can be stored in an air-tight container for weeks. Also, since I was visiting at the onset of winter, hot tea & coffee would be made by liters and it would make a perfect accompaniment. I’ve earlier made a reasonable attempt at biscotti & felt I could handle it.
I chose a recipe from Joy of Baking and made some small changes as per availability of ingredients or taste. I replaced hazelnuts with blanched almonds, I added almonds essence to it. I replaced egg with flax-seed powder. I skipped ground cloves as didn’t have them on me. I added another 1 Tbsp of coffee decoction as the dough didn’t come together well. I adjusted the width & length of dough-logs as per my baking sheet.
The biscottis are perfect & crisp for dunking in and enjoying a moist bite. Though I felt them a bit too sweet and would prefer using 3/4 cup sugar next time.
Note –If you like little soft chewy biscotti & don’t want to dunk them in coffee/ tea, then reduce last baking time slightly, else bake as per given time for crisp biscotti. They store well in air-tight container for few weeks & make for a wonderful treat for near & dear ones staying far away and whom you wish to remember during this festive season.
I stored & took them in an air-tight tupperware container with butter paper/ parchment paper placed in between each layer.
Eggless Cappuccino Biscotti
Recipe Source – adapted from Joy of Baking
Ingredients – 1 egg = 1 Tbsp Powdered Flax Seed mixed in 3 Tbsp warm water
- 3/4 Cup – Almonds
- 2 Cups – APF
- 1 Cup – Sugar, granulated
- 1/2 tsp – Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp – Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp – Salt
- 1/2 tsp – Cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 Cup – Espresso or strong coffee, cooled (add extra, if reqd)
- 1 Tbsp – Milk
- 1 Tbsp – Flax seed
- 3 Tbsps – Warm water
- 1 tsp – Vanilla
- 1 tsp – Almond Essence
- 1/2 Cup – Chocolate Chips
- To blanch almonds, place them in boiling water for about 1 min. Drain & immediately place them in ice-cold water to stop further cooking. Peel the almonds.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C. Toast almonds for 8-10 mins or until golden brown & fragrant. Allow them to cool & chop coarsely. Set aside.
- Mix flax seed powder & warm water. Mix well & allow to stand for 5-10 mins.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or butter paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together, espresso, milk, flax seed-egg, almond essence & vanilla.
- In a large bowl, beat flour, baking powder, soda, sugar, salt & spices until combined.
- Gradually add the espresso mixture & beat until dough forms. Adding nuts & chocolate chips about halfway through.
- With floured hands, divide the dough into half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each into a log 10″ long & 2″ wide. Transfer them onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 3″ apart to allow for logs to spread.
- Bake for about 35 mins or till firm to touch. Remove & cool on a wire rack for 10 mins.
- Reduce the oven temp to 150 C.
- On a chopping board, cut the logs crosswise on the diagonal into 3/4″ slices.
- Arrange the slices on the baking sheet & bake for 5 mins on each side or until they are pale golden.
- Remove from oven & allow to cool completely. Store in an air-tight container.
Linking this to –
- Christmas Event by Cook like a Bong
- Merry Christmas Celebrations by Cook, Cook & Cook
- Cookies & Cakes for Xmas by My Easy to Cook Recipes
- Spot light: Healthy Baking by Recipe Junction
- Lets Cook Edible Gifts for Christmas by Simply Food
- Favorite Recipes Event : Christmas Event by Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Bake Fest #14 by Cooks Joy
- Celebrate Series – Christmas – hosted by Divya for Dec
- 60 Days to Christmas – co-hosted by Priya & Divya Pramil
- Christmas Cook-off Contest by Kavi