For this month’s sweet punch, they chose Chocolate Almond Biscotti from Joy of Baking. Biscotti was totally new for me, to tell you a secret, for the first time I’d consciously became aware of something called Biscotti. And again the challenge of substituting eggs came up. Everytime I divert from the given recipe, I’m quite apprehensive & excited about the outcome. I chose to replace eggs with Flax Seed as it works well where the dish has nutty flavour. I also used Milk compound Chocolate as that was available at home with me. My oven doesn’t have 165 C so I chose the closest to it (160 C) & increased the time by 2 mins. It worked fine for me.
1 egg = 1 Tbsp Powdered Flax Seed mixed in 3 Tbsp warm water
Eggless Chocolate Almond Biscotti –
Recipe Source – minimally adapted from Joy of Baking
- 110 gms – Blanched Whole Almonds, toasted & chopped coarsely
- 135 gms – Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Flax Seed Powder
- 6 tbsp – Warm Water
- 1 tsp – Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp – Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp – Salt
- 225 gms – All Purpose Flour
- 110 gms – Semi-sweet Chocolate, chopped into 1/2″ pieces or choco-chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C. Toast almonds for 8-10 mins or until golden brown & fragrant. Allow them to cool & chop coarsely. Set aside.
- Mix flax seed powder & warm water. Mix well & allow to stand for 5-10 mins.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or butter paper.
- In a medium bowl, beat together flax seed egg & sugar till thick & fluffy on high speed. This should take about 5 mins.
- Add in vanilla extract & beat well.
- In a separate bowl sieve flour, baking powder & salt. Whisk together.
- Add flour mixture to flax seed mixture. Beat till combined
- Slowly fold in the chopped almonds & chocolate.
- Transfer the dough on the lined baking sheet & make a log of about 12″ long & 3.5″ wide. You might need to dampen your hands as dough would be sticky.
- Bake for 25 mins at 180 C or till firm to touch.
- Remove from oven & cool on a wire rack for 10 mins.
- Transfer to a chopping board & diagonally cut the dough into slices of 3/4″ thickness.
- Reduce oven temp to 160 C. Place the biscotti cut side down on the baking sheet & bake again for 12 mins. Turn over the slices & bake for another mins.
- Remove from oven & cool on a wire rack.
V as usual couldn’t wait to come back & enjoy them with some warm milk before bed. I was also busy nibbling on all the left overs from each baking cycle. 🙂 I felt that my slices were not as thin as they should have been. This is a keeper recipe for me & I’ll surely improvise on the thickness. Till then enjoy with a hot cuppa!
Today is my sister’s birthday. Wish you a very happy birthday with these biscottis & a promise that I’ll surely bake these for you when I meet you next. Love you Didi! Hope you enjoyed your b’day gift.
Sending these wonderful Eggless Almond Biscotti to Cook.Eat.Delicious-Desserts – Almonds guest hosted by Anu of Anuz Healthy Kitchen. This event was started by Raven of Cook.Eat.Delicious. There is a random giveaway. Hop on to their blog to know more.