This is one of my favourite breakfast. And not just mine slowly V & other family members have also happily adopted this breakfast. You would wonder that what is so special in making savory vermicelli, all household has this once a while or once a week. Well the specialty lies in addition of bread & the way it is made.
And not just me, this recipe is enjoyed by my mamaji as well, whenever he is visiting us, he makes it a point to stay for breakfast so that he can enjoy this. Hats off to you mom for creating something so enjoyable. Even my MIL has incorporated this recipe to her taste into her own.
Namkeen Vermicelli –
Recipe Source – My mother
- 1 cup – Vermicelli
- 3-4 – Bread slices
- 2-3 – Green Chillies, Finely Chopped
- 2 – medium Tomatoes, Chopped
- 1 – medium Boiled Potato, Chopped
- 1/4 cup – Peas
- 1 tsp – Carom Seeds
- 1/2 tsp – Turmeric Powder
- to taste – Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp – Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 1 Tbsp – Lemon Juice
- Ghee for frying
- Chop bread into small pieces, about 1.5 cm squares.
- Heat ghee in a wok & fry these bread pieces till golden brown. Remove & allow to drain ghee on paper towel.
- In the same ghee, roast the vermicelli. Roast in ghee even if you have bought roasted ones or have already roasted them at home. This step is what really gives the taste to this dish. Remove & drain excess ghee on paper towel.
- In a pan, heat ghee. When it is hot, add carom seeds, when they splutter add green chillies, turmeric powder & salt. Add peas, & boiled potatoes. Lightly roast them for 2-3 minutes.
- Add roasted vermicelli. Cover them with water. Add enough water to allow them to be completely submerged in it. Cover the lid & allow to cook on slow flame.
- When only little water is left, add tomato & mix lightly.
- Once totally dry, add bread pieces & mix gently. Turn off the flame. Mix in lemon juice & serve hot.
This is a yum tasting & filling breakfast. Even my son eats it. If you want, you can replace ghee with oil in all steps but trust me the taste really comes from ghee. You can also skip roasting vermicelli in ghee/ oil completely. But again this enhances the taste of the dish.
Sending Namkeen Vermicelli to Let’s Cook Series – Scrumptious Breakfast by Radhika of Tickling Palates. My other entries are – Channe ke Kebabs & Noodles Cutlet. She needs no introduction as I’m sure all of us think of her almost daily with all the events & hopping happening. I sure do Hop onto her blog to know more about her ongoing events & hopping.